Disney’s The Jungle Book cast so far: Neel Sethi as Mowgli, Ben Kingsley as the voice of Bagheera, Lupita Nyong’o as the voice of Rakcha, Scarlett Johansson as the voice of Kaa and Idris Elba as the voice of Shere Khan (x x x x)
And not only is the cast amazing, but the film is going to be a mixture of live-action and animation (a-la Mary Poppins). Neel Seth (Mowgli),is going to be the only live-action actor and everyone else’s characters will be animated AND I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED.
omg thiS IS NOT A DRILL OMFG
When you write about race, the feedback and messages white people send you ends up being the same. They all have the same tired retorts. They desperately need to get new material.
Here are the top 10 hits of white nonsense. There are many more examples, but these are the top 10 imo.
1. Not all white people. These people need a disclaimer for life. They need you to say “not all” at all times. Imagine if you went through life saying “not all” for everything. Person 1 “My daughter is afraid of dogs after the neighbor’s dog attacked her.” Person 2 “Not all dogs attack!”
2. What about Chicago? This is the latest diversionary tactic of white people in the US. Suddenly they care about Black lives in Chicago. Just Chicago btw…lol
3. It happened so long ago. White people are still talking about Roman gladiators and ancient Greek battles, but talk about Jim Crow laws (that ended in 1965!), then all of a sudden, you’re talking about shit older than Adam and Eve…lol
4. What about the Irish? What about them? What does anything about the plight of the Irish have to do with Black people? Anytime you talk about the plight of Black people in the US, white people will bring up the Irish. Was it Black people who subjugated the Irish? I do know that Black people in the Americas have surnames like “O’Neal” etc because they had Irish slave masters. Runteldat.
5. It goes both ways. Deep down they don’t even believe this…lol
6. Every group of people did bad things. Alright, show me the group of people who circumnavigated the world bringing destruction, death, disease and an intent to subjugate the indigenous to take their wealth, natural resources and land. As I say this, you just know some fool is fixing to get in my inbox to tell me about how Eastern Europeans didn’t do what Western Europeans did. See point number 1 to understand this mentality.
7. Get over it. This is always said in frustration.
8. I didn’t own slaves. I have yet to come across anyone who has accused a white person of personally owning slaves in 2014, yet they will protest that they didn’t own slaves. They say they didn’t own slaves when no one accused them of it. Black person “I just read this great piece about the case for reparations in the Atlantic by Ta-Nehisi Coates. White person “I didn’t own slaves!”
9. What about reverse racism? This is a tacit admission on their part that racism is real. So much so that they believe racism against them is the reverse. They think racism should be directional and not against them of course. Regular racism against the darkies is fine, but they will take a stand against the reverse stuff. That’s just going too far. Don’t you know they’re white?
10. Quoting this from MLK Jr. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” To white people, this is the only thing MLK Jr. ever uttered in life. That is his entire body of work. Oh, and that he had a dream that black people would hold hands with white people one day. For white people in South Africa, you can substitute MLK Jr. with Nelson Mandela. According to white South Africans, Nelson Mandela’s sole purpose in life was to go around telling everyone to forgive white people. South Africa is a rainbow nation now. Yay!
This is a great compilation for White Nonsense in the Age of Obama. Oh and on that point, one last one for all of our favorite racist white liberals…
I voted for Obama!!!
i see lucy as a racist film that plays on negative stereotypes while hiding behind the cover of (white) feminism.
all this film has done is switch out the white man for a white woman. it’s still a film about a white person getting violated by the evil poc, then gaining power and wiping them out.
here’s 2 of my favourite scenes from the trailer:
from top to left to right:
KEEP CLEAN 保持清潔，APPLE 蘋果，ONION 洋蔥，GRAPE 葡萄，CHAIR 椅子，TOMATO 番茄
traditional chinese is an actual written language used by millions of people, not symbols to be thrown around at the whim of set designers because they look cool and idk, serves to create a menacing asian atmosphere. this is so disrespectful, and made even worse by the fact that this film in set it taipei, taiwan where the official written language is traditional chinese.
it doesn’t matter that this film caters to a primarily “white” audience who won’t be able to read it, the language and culture of taiwan isn’t something for you to twist and use as you deem fit because it’s “exotic.”
lucy shoots a guy for not being able to speak english.
she l i t e r a l l y shoots this taiwanese taxi driver, in taiwan for not being able to speak english. she’s in taipei and she’s shooting people as they are of no use to her because they don’t speak english.
just think about the sort of message that’s sending out. she’s not being “bad-ass strong female character who takes no shit,” she’s saying that english is useful and better. this is the type of harmful ideology that stretches all the way back from when western countries were colonising and forcing their language and customs on other countries.
let me explain with a real life example. i was born in new zealand to two taiwanese parents. i am fluent in english, but mandarin is conversational at best. my friends in taiwan say that i am “so lucky” to speak fluent english, when they are fluent in mandarin and their english level is no worse than my mandarin. they tell me that they want to perfect their english but in the same breath tell me that mandarin isn’t worth perfecting because i have english and that’s “enough”. they also tell me how pretty my white friends are when they see pictures.
this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that they’ve grown up buying into. it honestly hurts and frustrates me that they belittle their own culture like this, honestly believing that the western world is superior. this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that this film (hopefully unintentionally) promotes: white people are better and will save the day.
if they wanted to film a movie about a white women getting back at those who had violated her, why not film it in a western country? if they wanted to film it in taiwan, why not find an asian lead actress?
i do agree that we need more women protagonists in action/superhero movies, but not like this. its not okay that the female lead needs to be kidnapped and have her body cut open without her consent in order to gain her powers, and those said those powers do not make any of this racist bullshit okay.
i am just so tired and angry of poc always being brushed off to the side as either props or villains in mainstream media.
as a poc, it’s so frustrating to see that the of the standard of beauty still white women when we live in multi-cultural societies and a diverse world.
feminism is about equality. a film in which poc are presented as evil and inferior before being killed off by a superior white woman does not promote equality.
My [scattered] thoughts on Bong Joon-ho’s Snowpiercer. This was originally just a defence of the film’s ending—which I’ve seen widely criticised—because I think it’s brilliant and necessary and worth defending. But… then there’s everything else.
[major spoilers, of course]damnnnnnnnn… broke.it.down.
Japanese artist Rokudenashiko was recently arrested for distributing the 3D scan of her vagina (which she also made into this stylish kayak).
Asked about her goals she said, “I wanted to make pussy more casual and pop.” Hero status. - CM
Seventeen? You’re a train baby then.
“The problem is that white people see racism as conscious hate, when racism is bigger than that. Racism is a complex system of social and political levers and pulleys set up generations ago to continue working on the behalf of whites at other people’s expense, whether whites know/like it or not. Racism is an insidious cultural disease. It is so insidious that it doesn’t care if you are a white person who likes black people; it’s still going to find a way to infect how you deal with people who don’t look like you. Yes, racism looks like hate, but hate is just one manifestation. Privilege is another. Access is another. Ignorance is another. Apathy is another. And so on. So while I agree with people who say no one is born racist, it remains a powerful system that we’re immediately born into. It’s like being born into air: you take it in as soon as you breathe. It’s not a cold that you can get over. There is no anti-racist certification class. It’s a set of socioeconomic traps and cultural values that are fired up every time we interact with the world. It is a thing you have to keep scooping out of the boat of your life to keep from drowning in it. I know it’s hard work, but it’s the price you pay for owning everything.”
Scott Woods (via newwavefeminism)
grifter, hacker, hitter, thief //
stacker pentecost feels like an old man sometimes, the triplets and mako getting underfoot everywhere he turns. their base gets a little crowded, six of them all jostling for space and bandwidth, but when a job starts, he never doubts that he’s assembled the best team in the industry.
all of them can grift, but experience is a brutal teacher and no one thinks as fast on their feet as stacker does. acting as control tower and inside man isn’t always easy, but tendo can handle himself and keep the team in order when their leader goes offline. after all, he’s been in the business almost as long as stacker has.
sometimes one or two of the weis stick to him on a job. security for the wealthy businessman with interests in hong kong, or ambitious young CEOs making a splash in asian markets— stacker as their foothold into the west. they speak english, mandarin, cantonese and japanese fluently; enough korean to fool the vast majority of their marks.
twins, stacker will say. clever young men, tight with their money but generous when the offer is right. you know how quickly china’s been growing; the spirit of entrepreneurship is alive and well, you see.
whatever brothers aren’t stuck in the field with pentecost (sometimes it’s one of them, sometimes it’s all of them) back mako up.
not that she needs it. mako hasn’t met a building, an office, a museum, a bank, safe, vault or office that could keep her out. getting in is easy; getting out isn’t always as simple, but that’s when stacker lets the boys go wild. they get bored when things go according to plan anyway.
as for stacker— well, he considers himself a bit of a modern-day robin hood. they have one rule: kaiju targets only. the members of this particular criminal organization have bases everywhere from canberra to silicon valley, the company itself founded by some white guy with a little too much interest in old japanese monster movies.
but what it comes down to is that prime marks are are greedy, arrogant and rich— kaiju operatives fit the bill perfectly.
“We cannot educate white women and take them by the hand. Most of us are willing to help but we can’t do the white woman’s homework for her. That’s an energy drain. More times than she cares to remember, Nellie Wong, Asian American feminist writer, has been called by white women wanting a list of Asian American women who can give readings or workshops. We are in danger of being reduced to purveyors of resource lists.”
Feminism needs to be authentically intersectional, or nothing at all. This speaks volumes
whats it with people calling japanese characters from japanese anime who live in japan and speak japanese and have japanese names white
The tags speak truth.